In part 2 of our 3 part series on designing with color to create your perfect living space, we’re exploring bright and bold colors. We all dream of being daring enough to add vivid color to a room and show everyone just how fearless we are, but in reality, it can be intimidating. But the bigger the risk, the bigger the pay off. Once you take that leap, you rarely regret your decision, and instead find yourself in a new more exciting place than before.
Remember Carrie Bradshaw’s apartment makeover in SATC the movie? Years ago, her grown-up apartment inspired me to track down the exact color (Benjamin Moore Electric Blue) and paint an accent wall in my home office. It was nerve-wracking at the time, but before the paint had dried, I was in love with my decision. It transformed the room into a bright energetic space in which I loved spending time.
If you’ve been dreaming of a more vibrant abode, read our tips for different ways to make this transformative update to your home.
- Paint the walls. The easiest and most dramatic way to experiment with color. Paint an entire room in a rich hue or try one accent wall or the inside of a book shelf.
- A bold door. A fun way to add a pop of color inside or out of your dwelling. Use a high-gloss paint applied with a brush. The fine detail of the brush strokes adds a beautiful hand-crafted texture.
- Mix shades of the same hue. Choose one color and work within a range of shades from dark to light to create depth, diversity and continuity. The end result will be polished and elegant.
- A lively rug. A must-have for the modern bohemian. A small area rug, on its own or layered on top of a neutral rug, is a wonderful alternative to a larger rug that lacks versatility. And don’t forget the bathroom - a colorful tribal rug is a sophisticated alternative to a bathmat.
- The powder room. A classic small space to go wild with wallpaper or a rich paint. The peek of color will catch the eye of passers-by and draw them in.
- Throw pillows. In vivid hues or lively patterns, throw pillows are another easy update to a room. They can bring life into a neutral sofa or create layered luxe on a chic-colored seat.
- Artwork. A large statement piece, a gallery wall or smaller pieces carefully placed on a shelf. Professionally done or your child’s colorful masterpieces. Whatever you choose, art humanizes a space and is a great way to express your personality while adding color.
- Keep it real. Don’t feel like you have to coordinate everything in the room. Instead, random pops of color keeps things more natural and interesting.
Below are some of our favorite rooms with bold colors to inspire your color refresh. Visit our Bold & Bright board on Pinterest for more inspiration. And stay tuned for the next and final post in this series...
(All images via Pinterest)
SHOP BOLD & BRIGHT:
GEROME RUG ($1,060) | STRIPED BOWLS I ($78) | DOUALA PILLOWS ($118-138) | MAYAN TASSELS PILLOW ($148) | LARGE WAVE BOWL I ($108) | HIGHLANDS STRIPE PILLOW ($168) | N'DJAMENA PILLOWS ($118-138) | SUN & SEA BOWLS ($48) | LUBUMBASHI PILLOW ($138) | CHIAPAS EMBROIDERED PILLOW I ($118)